Pride Toronto relies on the efforts and commitment of volunteers to organize and manage Pride Toronto and the Pride Month Festival. In order to ensure a safe and secure experience for all Pride Toronto volunteers, we are implementing a minimum age for individuals to participate as volunteers. This policy has been developed based on the premise that:
- The two primary types of volunteer roles are: year-round (working on a team or independently to plan the festival), and weekend volunteer (working during the festival).
- Due to the nature of these two roles we cannot ensure supervision for volunteers 100% of the time.
- The majority of our volunteer positions require working independently. All weekend volunteer positions involve working on the festival site which is an outdoor unenclosed area.
The volunteer age policy is meant to ensure that volunteers are given the tools to function in their roles in a safe and knowledgeable way and to prevent volunteers from being put at foreseeable risk.
The following volunteer positions are only available to volunteers who are of the legal age of consent (18 years) or older:
- Any volunteer position which involves working within a beverage garden.
- Any safety & security volunteer position.
- Any treasury volunteer position.
- Any senior volunteer position which involves supervising other volunteers
- All Team Leads and Advisors must be 18 years of age or older at the time of their appointment.
The minimum age for volunteers working in any other capacity is 16 years.
- Volunteers under the age of majority are asked to provide written parental or guardian consent, in the form of a signed waiver from a parent or guardian.
- Where parental/guardian consent is not available, the volunteer will have to sign a waiver agreeing that although they are under the age of majority, they act on their own behalf and neither require nor seek the permission of their legal guardian/parent(s) and realize
and assume any potential risks to which they may be exposed in the course of their volunteering.
- Individuals who are volunteering at Pride, on behalf of a third party organization are not subject to the minimum age restriction and do not sign the Pride Toronto volunteer agreement. However the third party organizations must provide adult supervision for all volunteers 16 years and under.
3. Approval and Responsibility
- This policy shall be reviewed by the Management Team prior to the end of each annual Management Planning Session to assess the effectiveness of the policy in achieving the purpose set out in Section 1 as well as in complying with municipal, provincial and federal laws and regulations, as may be amended from time to time.
- Concerns and/or questions about this policy can be directed to Pride Toronto Co-Chairs.
- This policy shall be amended only by resolution of the Board of Directors through review and recommendation of the Board Governance Committee
Last Updated October 18, 2021