Pride Toronto is looking to work with a minimum of four (4) installation artists to create visual programming during the 2021 Pride Festival.
Pride Toronto is looking to secure installation artists to build on phigital Pride programming throughout the month of June bringing accessible and safe Pride programming to community members. The installations will be placed at high traffic spaces to increase visibility. The final locations of the work will be decided once the artists have been selected. We encourage artists of all visual disciplines to apply.
Pride Toronto is committed to the principles of employment equity. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome; in particular, applications are encouraged from racialized people, Indigenous people, disabled people, queer and trans people, women, youth and seniors. If you require any form of accessibility throughout this application, please let us know.
Selected Artist Asset Requirements
1. Installations can be made for indoor or outdoor spaces. Outdoor installations will be prioritized.
2. Installations should be no larger than 10 feet by 10 feet and 6 feet high. Smaller-scale and easy-to-install work will be prioritized.
- Installations are temporary and will be displayed from June 1-June 30, 2021. If outdoor, pieces need to be weather resistant and able to last the full month.
- The work should align with Pride Toronto’s mission, vision and values and be reflective and directed to the 2SLGBTQ+ communities.
- The physical installation can cost up to $4,000 + HST. The budget will need to include all labor, materials, curation fee, transportation, installation, and takedown included.
- Pride Toronto will be responsible for securing the venue for the installation and all costs associated. Venue locations will be at the discretion of Pride Toronto, however, consultation with selected artists will take place prior to confirming the venue.
- To maximize Pride programming, lower-cost submissions will be prioritized.
Submission Period – March 19, 2021 – March 31, 2021
Pride Toronto will select a minimum of four (4) artists from applicants who will each be asked to develop a mockup of the installation and an outline of all required infrastructure needed to complete the work.
Submission requirements are outlined below.
Project Development – April 2, 2021 – May 23, 2021
Once artists have been informed of approval, a final budget will be required by April 10, 2021. The selected artists will each receive 75% upfront for project development and the remaining 25% upon completion of the exhibition and removal of the work by July 1, 2021.
Project Installation – May 23, 2021 – May 31, 2021
Installation dates will be shared with selected artists once confirmed. The installation will take place from March 23-June 1, 2021. Venue costs will be covered by Pride Toronto.
The installation must be completed by June 1, 2021 and will be on display until July 1, 2021. The installation will then need to be removed by the selected artist.
Additionally, selected artists will have the opportunity to participate in additional self-promotion opportunities with Pride Toronto’s media partners. Pride Toronto will take photos of the installations which will be provided to the selected artists.
March 19, 2021 – Call released
March 31, 2021 – Call submissions due
April 2, 2021 – Selected artists notified
April 2- May 23, 2021 – Artwork development period
April 20, 2021- Check-in meeting with artists and Pride Toronto
May 23- May 31, 2021 – Installations brought onsite and installed
June 1, 2021- Unveiling
July 1, 2021- Installation takedown
Artists are invited to respond to this EOI by submitting a single pdf document that contains
1. Artistic Statement – 1-page maximum; Outline your artistic experience, approach, and interest in this project, highlighting your community connection and intersectionality. Pride Toronto is committed to the principles of employment equity. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome; in particular, applications are encouraged from racialized people, Indigenous people, disabled people, queer and trans people, women, youth, and seniors. If you are comfortable, please self disclose your community connection and intersectionality as part of your application.
2. Artistic Support Material – Maxim of 5 pieces of work, for each provides a title and image number.
3. Website and Social Media Links (If available)
- A brief overview of the piece to be developed explaining how it is directed to or reflective of Pride Toronto’s mission, vision, and values and the 2SLGBTQ communities.
- Installation requirements necessary to complete the work including dimensions, power requirements, and if this is an indoor or outdoor exhibition
- Budget – please include the total budget being requested to a maximum of $4,000 + HST. Applicants are not required to show the budget breakdown at this point in time just the total amount being requested.
Submissions must be received by 11:59 pm EST, March 31, 2021. Late Submissions will not be accepted.
Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Call for Installation Artist Pride 2021”
Questions? Please feel free to reach out to the Director of Sponsorship & Strategy, Amber Moyle at [email protected] by March 31, 2021, and they will be happy to respond. We look forward to hearing from you! Stay Proud, Stay Safe.