ABOUT PRIDE TORONTO
Pride Toronto is a not-for-profit organization with a mission to support our communities in the pursuit of our unequivocal
rights to be known, be heard, be understood, be accepted, be respected, and to celebrate the beauty of who we are.
Uniting and empowering people with diverse sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions, the annual
Pride Toronto Festival has become a major Canadian Arts and Cultural Event and the largest Pride celebration in North
America. Pride showcases Toronto on the world stage with diversity, inclusion and vibrant creativity.
As a $6 million organization of more than 1,000 members it is supported by: donations, corporate sponsors and
Pride Toronto continues a legacy that is deeply intertwined with the rich, progressive history of Toronto’s queer
community. From a small gathering of dedicated activists fighting for their right to love and be seen, to the vibrant
celebration it knows today, Pride has been a long time in the making.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) contributes to the overall success of Pride Toronto by providing organizational leadership for the planning and execution of all Pride events, as well as community party events and special projects. The ED works collaboratively with the Board and is charged with the daily operational and executive management of the organization and works with staff and a large team of dedicated volunteers.
STRATEGIC LEADERSHIP, BOARD SUPPORT & GOVERNANCE
● Provide leadership, direction and support to Pride Toronto staff through effective communication and goalsetting
● Facilitate the successful development and implementation of the strategic plan
● Identify and develop priorities in conjunction with the Board and the staff team
● Encourage harmonious relationships between Board, Staff, Volunteers, and Community through effective communications
● Engage in community consultation to ensure events are relevant and inclusive
● Develop and implement administrative plans in collaboration with the Board and Staff
● Recommend and develop relevant policies with Governance Committee
● Implement policies and procedures
● Communicate with the Board of Directors in a concise, clear, comprehensive manner, to ensure that the Board has adequate information on Pride Toronto activities to carry out effective decision making
● Participate in all Board meetings, Board’s standing committees and AGMs
● Commitment to the development and implementation of our internal organizational Anti-Black Racism strategy
OPERATIONAL, FINANCIAL & RISK MANAGEMENT
● Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operations of Pride Toronto while ensuring stakeholder engagement and organizational growth
● Develop and maintain operational policies, procedures and guidelines and review existing policies on an annual basis
● Ensure that Pride Toronto’s activities are conducted in accordance with legal requirements, the by-laws, the mission, vision and strategic plan of Pride Toronto and all applicable organizational policies and procedures
● Responsible for sound financial management and control, budget preparation and forecasting in accordance with all pertinent legislation and policy
● Prepare financial plans and annual operating budget for Board approval.
● Develop annual event and project budgets in collaboration with staff
● Manage the efficient and effective use of the agency’s resources
● Participate in the Finance Committee to ensure understanding of current financial position
● Act as a signing officer
● Identify and evaluate the risks to the organization’s people (staff, board, volunteers), property, finances, goodwill, and image and implement measures to control risks
● Ensure that the Board of Directors carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage
● Ensure that the Board and Staff understand the terms, conditions and limitations of the insurance coverage
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
● Develop and implement the appropriate organizational structure and staffing levels including volunteer committee structure
● Develop and maintain HR policies, guidelines and processes and review existing policies on an annual basis
● Ensure that the hiring and management practices regarding staff and volunteer resources are conducted in accordance with legal requirements, the by-laws, the mission, vision and strategic plan of Pride Toronto and all applicable organizational policies
● Coach and lead staff, including implementing best practices regarding orientation, ongoing supervision and performance reviews to ensure all departments of the organization are functioning appropriately, with special emphasis on event planning
● Manage all staff to ensure all policies and procedures are being followed, goals are being achieved, and obligations of the organizations are being met
● Oversee yearly evaluations of staff
FUNDRAISING & REVENUE MANAGEMENT
● Identify, develop, and evaluate sustainable revenue generating practices in accordance with legal requirements, the by-laws, the mission, vision and strategic plan of Pride Toronto, and all applicable organizational policies
● Maintain and enhance existing key relationships with Pride Toronto’s sponsors, members and partners
● Partner with the Board to ensure that Pride Toronto develops and maintains a diversified revenue portfolio
● Actively seek new funding opportunities including corporate partnerships
● Identify and execute high-quality grant applications
● Identify and execute relevant fundraising events and partnerships
COMMUNICATIONS, MEDIA & COMMUNITY RELATIONS
● Develop, lead and deliver effective internal and external communications strategies for Pride Toronto in accordance with legal requirements, the By-Laws, the mission, vision and strategic plan of Pride Toronto, and all applicable organizational policies
● Represent Pride Toronto and act as spokesperson
● Facilitate community participation and stakeholder inclusion in Pride Toronto’s activities, as appropriate
● Promote, develop, champion and maintain positive working relations with the community, cultural agencies, social service organizations, individuals, government and other stakeholders
● 7 to 10 years of progressive senior leadership experience with 5 or more years as a senior leader in a grassroots non-profit organization
● A proven track record in organizational leadership managing a team of staff and volunteer leaders
● Experience managing budgets in an event-focused organization
● Board governance experience reporting to a Board of Directors and working with a new board
● Revenue development know-how including sponsorship and building diversified fundraising revenue
● Community work and community consultation experience
● Experience as a media spokesperson (an asset)
● Experience in working with municipal government
● Previous experience overseeing events an asset Skills & Attributes
● Demonstrated business and financial acumen
● Proven leadership and management skills
● Understanding of the areas of sponsorship and donor development
● Demonstrated skills in strategic thinking and strategic planning
● Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to speak well in public forums; Media relations and public speaking
● Demonstrated ability to build relationships and network with key stakeholders
● Problem solving, innovation, and vision for emerging opportunities
● Ability to maintain a strong resolve in managing diverse relationships
Pride Toronto is committed to the principles of employment equity. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome; in particular, applications are encouraged from racialized people, Indigenous people, disabled people, queer and trans people, and women. If you require any form of accessibility throughout this application, please let us know.
This search is being conducted on behalf of Pride Toronto by Crawford Connect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders for Canada’s non-profit sector. If someone you know may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this link– we would be pleased to connect with them.
To submit your application by August 17, 2020, please visit: crawfordconnect.com/for-candidates/jobopenings/.
Select the role and ‘Apply’ to upload your cover letter and resume in two separate documents.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest online, through the Crawford Connect website, in confidence.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.